A double mattress is a type of bedding that consists of two mattresses sewn together, typically sharing the same design. It is designed for those who share their beds.
A standard double mattress is not wide enough to comfortably accommodate two people without one person sleeping close to the edge of the bed.
Mattress sizes available in the UK
- Single (90cm x 190cm) – The smallest mattress size, which is usually suitable for one person only.
- Double (135cm x 190cm) – A standard UK double mattress, which can be used by two people but not as wide as a king or super king. The single-size mattress fits inside this to make your bed wider.
- King Size (150cm x 200cm) – This is the widest mattress available in the UK, which allows for lots of extra space and movement. It is wider than other mattress sizes and can be too wide for some bed frames.
- Super King (180cm x 200cm) – The widest UK size available, this allows for lots of extra room. A super king mattress is about 6 inches wider than a king-size mattress. The single-size mattress fits inside this to make your bed wider.
A double mattress is 75 centimeters wider than a single/twin mattress and 25 centimeters longer than a single/twin mattress.
The standard length for a double mattress is 190cm, with widths ranging from 135 to 200cm.
Double vs. twin mattress
A double (or full) mattress is larger than a twin mattress and smaller than a queen-size mattress or king-size mattress.
Double mattresses are best suited for individual use, or to accommodate one person sleeping in the middle of the bed.
A double mattress is an affordable option for those who want to share their beds with a partner.
They are similar in quality to a King Single (KS) mattress but wider and less expensive as they are two single mattresses sewn together.
Double mattress price
The price of a double or full-sized mattress typically ranges from £110 to £1090.
Types of Double Mattress
Double mattresses are available in the following styles: Open coil, pocket sprung, and Memory foam.
- Open Coil Mattress- This type of double mattress is made up of rows and rows of metal coils, in which the springs are encased in fabric casings that are interconnected with each other. The number of coils typically determines their quality.
- Pocket sprung – In this type, small pocket springs are sewn into handmade cotton pockets. This gives more support to the sleepers’ joints and is a good quality type of double mattress.
- Memory foam – In this type, the foam material is embedded with thousands of tiny air pockets that absorb body heat as well as conform to the contours of one’s body when lying down. This makes it appear like one is sleeping on a cloud. The material responds to body heat and molds itself around the sleeper’s body, relieving pressure points.
The most common materials used for double or full-sized mattress construction include Dunlop latex, Dunlop natural latex, Talalay latex, Latex & memory foam combination, and Memory foam. There are also organic options available in the market.
This is a premium quality natural rubber that ensures durability and offers good air circulation, keeping it cool at night.
It is hypoallergenic and has a high elasticity rating of 100 to 120, making it the top choice for those who are suffering from back pain or are pregnant.
Dunlop natural latex
This is a good quality form of rubber, with high elasticity and a 100 percent natural material that many people will find comfortable as it resembles memory foam.
It provides stable support to the body and has very little motion transfer so one won’t be disturbed by their partner’s movements at night.
This is a premium quality rubber that has an even distribution of weight as compared to Dunlop, so it won’t leave one side uncomfortably sinking further than the other.
This makes it a good choice for those who toss and turn while they sleep.
Latex & memory foam combination mattress
This type is ideal for couples as it ensures good support, has no motion transfer and will reduce pressure points.
Memory foam mattresses are also a preferred choice of sleepers who might suffer from back pain or who may be pregnant.
This material is made up of polyurethane that changes its shape in response to one’s body heat.
It molds to the shape of one’s body, relieving pressure points and providing excellent support.
Double Mattress Characteristics
- Mattress firmness – A double mattress can be made softer or firmer, depending on the needs of the sleeper. There are two main firmness ratings – medium (or soft) and firm. To reduce back pain, choose a firm mattress and D-shape pillow – this combination will provide support to the natural curve of the lower spine.
- Mattress thickness – A double mattress typically ranges from 8 to 20 inches in terms of height, but can be thicker or thinner depending on the materials used for its construction. Those who suffer from back pain may find a 12-inch mattress to be adequate.
- Comfort Grade – This refers to the quality of material used for its construction, such as cotton and wool. The best mattresses are made from 100 percent natural materials that won’t irritate the skin.
- Construction – Double or full-sized mattresses are either stitched or glued together, but most modern versions are sewn together to ensure durability. A lot of stitching might indicate a low-quality type, but this is not always the case. This can actually be an indication that the mattress has more supportive coils sewn into it, which will lead to better support for sleepers’ backs and joints.
- Sagging – This refers to the drooping in between sleepers’ bodies, which can feel uncomfortable and lead to back pain. Double or full-sized mattresses are more prone to this as compared to single types because they are made of larger materials and there is a higher weight limit for the mattress. This means that it has to support two sleepers and their weight while providing adequate comfort.
- Mattress type – The most common types of double mattresses are pocket and innerspring, but there are also several variations. Some have an adjustable base that can be raised or lowered to increase or decrease the firmness level. Others come with removable covers for machine-washing purposes after accidental spills or incidences. This guide will help you choose a double mattress that is compatible with your preferences and needs. The accompanying article in this issue will guide you through the process of mattress buying for a double bed.
- Brand – There are many top-rated brands of double mattresses, but this does not mean that other types are less durable. Some lesser-known names may provide excellent quality for a lower price tag, so it is up to the buyer to assess the features and cost before making a purchase.
Choosing the right double mattress
Choosing the right double mattress can be a confusing and overwhelming process, especially if it is your first time buying one for yourself.
There are several factors to consider when making the purchase, such as personal preferences, night’s sleep position, and body type.
Tips for choosing the right double mattress:
- Your partner’s preferences and needs must also be considered.
- Remember that there is no universal perfect-fitting type of mattress. The key is to find one that suits your sleep needs and comfort levels the most.
- Decide on what basic materials you want for your double mattresses, such as memory foam or pocket springs, before moving forward with the purchase.
- The mattress should be durable and long-lasting.
- Ask yourself if you prefer firmness or feel when you lie down on a mattress in the showroom. This will help narrow your choices.
The best double mattress for your sleeping requirements
I. Sleeping on your stomach
- You need a soft to medium type that will provide ample support for your spine and head.
- A medium mattress with pocket springs is ideal.
II. Sleeping on your back
- The firmness level of the mattress should be equivalent to about 10 percent of your combined weight, as this position does not exert much pressure on the spine and joints.
- A soft to medium type will work best.
III. Sleeping on your side
- You have to buy a mattress that has enough support for your body weight but also relieves pressure along the hips, lower back and shoulders.
- Medium firmness is necessary because you move around quite a bit while sleeping in this position.
- Foam and latex mattresses are lightweight, but pocket springs provide the best support.
Is a memory foam or pocket sprung mattress better?
Memory foam mattresses are very soft and have great contouring properties. They also retain their shapes for a longer period of time. This type can be beneficial if you lie on your side or back because it relieves pressure along the joints.
Pocket springs, on the other hand, provide more support and firmness but less comfort. Moving around while in bed can be troublesome because this type has a bouncier feel.
Pocket sprung mattresses are also more expensive than memory foam and latex types. These distinctions make it easier to narrow down your choices, but remember that sleep preferences vary from person to person so keep an open mind when shopping for what will work best for you.
Will a double mattress fit in a queen bed frame?
Most queen-size bed frames can fit a double mattress, but you should be cautious to check for the right width and length. Otherwise, the mattress may not fit well inside the frame and sag over time, which defeats its purpose.
The best way is to measure your queen-sized bed before buying another double mattress so that you are certain about the size that will work best.
What is the difference between a double mattress and a king single?
The only main difference between these bedding types is their width, which varies by 10 inches (25 cm) each. Other than this characteristic, they are both suitable for standard bed frames or bunk beds with twin-size frames.
How often should I replace my double mattress?
Most 10-inch mattresses last for up to 20 years, but make sure that you are aware of the specific type’s weight limit. If your mattress is sagging or compacting over time, then it may be time to replace it with a new one.
Double mattress reviews
Positive reviews for double mattresses note that they are long-lasting, supportive, provide good value for money, and easy to maintain.
Some negative reviews state that they are less comfortable than a single or king-size mattress due to their lack of space, while others complain that they are not firm enough. The average rating for double mattresses is 4 out of 5 stars.
What do experts recommend?
A lot rides on one’s preference for mattress firmness, but it may be necessary to test several types before selecting the most comfortable option. Sleepers should try out different types and firmness levels to find the one that is most appropriate for them.
Also, it might be a good idea to purchase a mattress protector to prevent unwanted spills or other incidents from damaging your investment.
Double Mattress FAQ
Q. What is the ideal height for a mattress?
A. Standard bed frames sit around 6 inches higher than the actual mattress, so if you are pairing it with a standard frame, then make sure to check that your choice does not go over this limit.
Otherwise, you may end up with problems like sagging in the middle or side areas and potentially dangerous accidents from the top edge of the mattress.
Q. How often do I need to flip my mattress?
A. Most double mattresses only require you to rotate them every six months so that they can last for a longer period of time and remain comfortable for your use throughout this span of time. This will depend on several factors such as the type, thickness and firmness level, though.
Q. How long should a mattress last?
A. The average lifespan of a double mattress is about 10 to 20 years, while king-size mattresses can last for up to 25 years in some cases. If you want value for your money and a durable investment, then it is best to check how long your mattress of choice will remain usable and comfortable for your needs.
Q. How do I clean my mattress?
A. The best way is to vacuum the surface of the mattress regularly while avoiding direct contact with the material because it may end up damaging it over time.
Additionally, you should use a mild detergent in warm water and blot areas where there are stains or odors. Leave the mattress in direct sunlight for a few hours to remove unpleasant smells and then let it air-dry before placing it back on your bed frame.
Q. How is double mattress thickness measured?
A. It is measured in inches, with 6 being the standard mattress height and 9 being a thicker option that may offer more comfort and durability to sleepers.
Q. What type of double bedding should I buy for my children?
A. Children’s mattresses are usually thinner than standard ones with an average height of 4 inches, but there are also mattresses that exceed this level. It depends on personal preferences and needs, so you should consider your budget and the available space for the mattress to ensure a comfortable night’s rest for children.
Double mattresses provide good value for money and are the perfect choice for those who share their beds with a partner. They are easily available from department stores or bedroom furniture shops and can be ordered online as well.